2009年4月12日星期日

truth and pretend


1. If the maps around you showed the existence of the Northwest Passage, would you believe it? Why?
I would say probably yes, because we have correct direction now. The information of this period are all evidenced and investigated by the scientist for a long time. explorers discovered the passage again and again, finally we can got a refined passage information. If I was in a ancient phase, I may think about the information is true or not, because of we didn't have good technology in the past, so there might have a lot of pretended information just like flat earth.

2. If you were John Cabot and someone told you the Northwest Passage didn't exist. What would you say? What would you feel? How would you react?
I would feel very angry and aggressive. I would say:" just you don't know, it doesn't mean the passage didn't exist!" I think if I am Cabot, I will be more persistent because of this person's speech. I think we cannot only say our dream, if that our dream won't become a fact. We need to make more efforts in our life, the more ways we attempt, the nearer path to our dream. As Cabot, I think the speech make my stronger and stronger.

3. Find a map by Humphrey Gilbert from 1582. What do you see in the picture? Explain.
I saw a quaint shaped earth on the map. I think it might be a very old aged map of the past because the earth is round, it can not be a shape of heart. I think at that time , the distance of the fact is very far from people.

4. Why did the Northwest Passage suit the goals (agenda) of the European explorers and monarchs?
I think because of we didn't have high level technology and inventions, so people not always use their brain to develop their countries. At that period, people need explorers and monarchs to increase the power of the kingdom. The exploration is the best way for people to improve their countries. People just need to found the new lands and named it and dominate it. There will be more people can live in this country.

5. Feedback loops help us to see reality as a system. Can you think of an example of a feedback loop from your own life? Look at page 225 of your textbook to help you.
Maybe it is like drawing in my life. I am not really hard working on it , but I cannot leave it. If I lose my way to draw, I will stop progressing. Drawing is my hobby and also my dream, so I cannot let it go, I will keep it.

6. What did you learn so far about explorers and the colonization of Canada?
I knew some of the explorer of Canadian history. That is the most important knowledge of this term. I think explorers are important to European and its history. If they didn't have any achievements, we won't study Canadian study any more! So, almost, I think we should grateful them and their history, their successful affected the phase of the northwest and also increased the places of the map of Canada.

1 条评论:

  1. 12/12

    Excellent entry!

    Your answers show you put a lot of thought into the thinking process. You go beyond the number of sentences required. You truly put your heart into learning! I love this excellent attitude!!!

    回复删除

关注者

我的简介